Frank Bernieri has research interests in social perception and judgment, nonverbal behavior and communication, face-to-face interactions, multi-channel communication, interpersonal synchrony, empathy, and research methodology. He was one of two Psychologists given the Young Investigator award by the National Science Foundation in 1992 for his research on the processes involved in face-to-face interactions. Currently, he is studying the relationships between various measures of emotional intelligence and measures of interpersonal accuracy. His research lab is also beginning to collaborate with researchers in Human Robot Interaction (HRI) at Oregon State University. http://liberalarts.oregonstate.edu/school-psychological-science/isl
Oregon State University started its first PhD program in Psychology in 2016, which means that he will now be able to consider taking new students for doctoral training.
- Communication, Language
- Interpersonal Processes
- Nonverbal Behavior
- Person Perception
- Research Methods, Assessment
- Social Cognition
- Hall, J., & Bernieri, F. (Eds.). (2001). Interpersonal sensitivity: Theory and measurement. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Ambady, N., Bernieri, F. J., & Richeson, J. A. (2000). Towards a histology of social behavior: Judgmental accuracy from thin slices of the behavioral stream. Advances in Experimental Social Psychology, 32, 201-271.
- Bernieri, F. J., Davis, J., Rosenthal, R., & Knee, C. (1994). Interactional synchrony and rapport: Measuring synchrony in displays devoid of sound and facial affect. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 20, 303-311.
- Bernieri, F. J., & Gillis, J. S. (1995). Personality correlates of accuracy in a social perception task. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 81, 168-170.
- Bernieri, F. J., & Gillis, J. S. (1995). The judgment of rapport: A cross-cultural comparison between Americans and Greeks. Journal of Nonverbal Behavior, 19, 115-130.
- Bernieri, F. J., Gillis, J. S., Davis, J. M., & Grahe, J. E. (1996). Dyad rapport and the accuracy of its judgment across situations: A lens model analysis. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 70, 110-129.
- Bernieri, F. J., Zuckerman, M., Koestner, R., & Rosenthal, R. (1994). Measuring person perception accuracy: Another look at self-other agreement. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 20, 367-378.
- Brown, J.A., & Bernieri, F. (2017). Trait perception accuracy and acquaintance within groups: Tracking accuracy development. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 43, 716-728. DOI:10.1177/0146167217695557
- Dabbs, J. M., Bernieri, F. J., Strong, R. K., Campo, R., & Milun, R. (2001). Going on stage: Testosterone in greetings and meetings. Journal of Research in Personality, 35, 27-40.
- Gillis, J. S., Bernieri, F. J., & Wooten, E. (1995). The effects of stimulus medium and feedback on the judgment of rapport. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 63, 33-45.
- Grahe, J. E., & Bernieri, F. J. (2002). Self-awareness of judgment policies of rapport. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 28, 1407-1418.
School of Psychological Science
Oregon State University
2550 Southwest Jefferson Way
Corvallis, Oregon 97331-5303
- Phone: (541) 737-1373
- Fax: (541) 737-3547